Monday, January 07, 2013
Last Wednesday, this rarely-updated, rarely-read blog celebrated its tenth anniversary.
That’s right ... Peace Tree Farm has been around, not being updated very often and not being read by very many people, since January 2, 2003. When I started writing here,
- the space shuttle Columbia was being prepared for what would be its final flight
- Secretary of State Colin Powell had not yet delivered his
pack of lies false justificationUN Security Council speech in preparation for the invasion of Iraq
- no one on Earth knew that there was a SARS virus, much less that it would soon spread worldwide and kill nearly 1000 people
- shock and awe had not yet begun the destruction of Baghdad and Iraq
- Maurice Gibb, Bill Mauldin, Nell Carter, Walt Rostow, Fred Rogers, Rachel Corrie, and Daniel Patrick Moynihan were alive
And that’s just the first three months since the start of Peace Tree Farm.
Oh, in case you’re looking for something to mark this occasion, the traditional 10th anniversary gift is tin. As in “tin for ten”, perhaps? Modernists might consider another metallic element, aluminum.